26 March 2018 / Club News

Cardiff University 19 - Nantgaredig 10

Nantgaredig reached the quarter final of the WRU Bowl for the first time in their history and were eliminated from the competition by a talented team of students at the University playing fields at Llanrymney, Cardiff. The students took the lead within 5 minutes when a clearing kick was charged down for the home team outside half to score the opening converted try. Nantgaredig's situation did not improve in the first quarter when the forwards managed to turn over a ball in a tackle situation only for No. 8 Gwyn Pierce to be yellow carded. The students failed to capitalise on the visitors being a forward short and gradually Nantgaredig grew in confidence resulting in two penalties awarded in their favour. However, Meirion Davies and then Lloyd Williams were unsuccessful with their goal attempts and the first half ended with the score remaining 7-0

The second half commenced with Nantgaredig being awarded a penalty following a deliberate knock on by a University player to thwart a scoring opportunity. Davies converted the penalty although the referee decided that the offence did not warrant a yellow card. 10 minutes into the second half Nantgaredig scored their try which began when Dafydd Lewis counter attacked from inside is own half. The ball was kicked behind the on rushing University defence with wing Rhys Schiavone following through and showing some neat footwork to control and touchdown. Meirion Davies confidently converted.

With the score at 7-10 the game was still in the balance, Davies at outside half for Nantgaredig attempted a drop goal to keep the score moving forward. What followed was a most bizarre decision by the referee who awarded a scrum to the students claiming that Davies had deliberately kicked the ball out of play and had not attempted a drop goal.

The students hit back with a try of their own when a penalty took them to a lineout 5 metres out. The university team worked through a number of phases until eventually the visitors ran out of defenders and scored a converted try. The Cardiff University had a strong scrum and their lineout work was of the highest order continually putting pressure on Nantgaredig in this this aspect of the game.

With the home team gaining more possession as the game went on and perhaps a higher level of fitness it was only a matter of time that they scored the final and decisive points with an unconverted try to seal the victory. Davies was unable to convert a penalty awarded at 35 mins to keep any hope of closing the gap to one score.

Cardiff University go on to play Pembroke in the next round we wish them success in the semi final. Nantgaredig players can be proud of their achievement in reaching this stage of the cup and especially their home win against a strong Taffs Well team. The aim next season surely is to go a step further in the competition which has its final played at the Principality Stadium, Cardiff.


Nantgaredig try Rhys Schiavone cons Meirion Davies(1) pens Meirion Davies (1).

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments