08 January 2018 / Club News

Nantgaredig 12 - Lampeter 15

This fixture, eagerly anticipated by both teams, took place in bright sunshine and a bitterly cold breeze. Both teams prior to the Match were joint second in the league, so a win would give the victors a significant advantage.

In the first few minutes there were two breaks from deep by Lampeter attacking full back Rhys Douglas, making several yards into the home territory, and showing his intentions. Nine minutes into the game however, it was Nantgaredig who scored first points. A long pass to the right wing beyond halfway, saw a neat grubber kick along, but inside the touchline. Gethin Davies won the chase to touch down. Conversion missed.

The visitors attempted some attacking Rugby, but we're thwarted by excellent home defence. Some excellent passing by Nant saw them make progress into the visitors 22 and were awarded a penalty for obstruction. Sensing the visitors were asleep, George Gleeson took a quick tap, and raced to touch down under the posts. Meirion Davies converted. The visitors were then down to 14 men. Gareth Griffiths given a yellow card for a high tackle. However with halftime approaching, Nant suffered a similar fate losing a scrum half for the same offence. The resulting penalty took the visitors to a line out near the home line. The ball was secured and a rolling maul ensued, with Captain Daryl Davies touching down. Conversion missed.  Halftime score 12 - 5.

The second half began with the visitors really taking the game to Nant. Many incursions into the home 22 were foiled by excellent defence. A penalty to the visitors, wide to the left was converted by Arwel Thomas. Now, with the score at 12 - 8 Nantgaredig instigated several attacks, and pounded the Lampeter line. The defence held firm. With time running out, and Nant rucking within sight of the line, the ball burst out of the loose scrum and was picked up by Lampeter fullback Rhys Douglas. He jinked and sidestepped beyond halfway. Although fast, he was being pursued from wide by two defenders. To his left however, was winger Sam Whittingham. Timing his pass to perfection, Sam took the ball at speed, and raced to the line to touch down under the posts. The try was converted by Arwel Thomas.

Full time: Nantgaredig 12 - Lampeter 15.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments